The Building Inspector is dedicated to public safety in the building environment through professionalism in code administration, plan review, inspections and to effectively provide the community with a responsive and user friendly level of service in the issuance of building permits.
We place a level of duty commensurate with the life safety responsibility to protect the general public by adopting life safety codes, construction codes and standards, issuance of permits to construct to approved plans, provide on-site inspections and maintain training programs that provides a staff that is competent, responsive and user friendly.
Building permits may be obtained at City Hall. A building permit is required for the following: New construction, room addition or extension, garage or carport, fence, porch or deck, patio or breezeway; storage building (any size), retaining wall (any size), all concrete work for future construction, all remodeling work or rehabilitation work that requires replacement or changing load bearing wall, electrical, rafter change, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, floor, door, stairs, satellite dish or demolition.
The cost of a building permit is determined as follows:
- New Construction-Residential/Commercial: 37 cents per square foot of living and non-living space. The fee will increase 3% annually on April 1st of each year.
- Remodeling- Residential/Commercial: Sq. Ft. x 37 cents divided by 2 or number of times an inspection is needed, whichever is less. The fee will increase 3% annually on April 1st of each year.
- Swimming Pool Permits: $25.00 Above and below ground pools require fencing which is an additional fee of $25.00
- Fence Permits: $25.00
- Demolition Permits: $25.00
- Excavation and/or Driveway Permits:
- No person shall begin to excavate, construct, reconstruct, repair, alter or grade any right-of-way, curb, curb cut, driveway or street on a public street without first obtaining a permit from the City Manager.
- A deposit of $250 is required for asphalt and $400 for concrete, or such sum as may be required by the City on a project-by-project basis.
- In the event the applicant does not repair the street to the City’s satisfaction, the deposit will not be refunded.